Re: 5-Speed Sunny/210 'box:- need advice, please.

To: corry@iol.ie
Subject: Re: 5-Speed Sunny/210 'box:- need advice, please.
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 17:40:26 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 11:00:46 Ron Corry <corry@iol.ie> writes:
>Hi List,

>Not having found any example of the 5-Speed G/B yet here in Ireland,
>and it being extremely unlikely that I would locate a LHD one here, I
>have some questions for the collective wisdom of the list:-
>
>(1.) If the RHD 'box were to be fitted 'as is', do you think the
>starter bendix  would clear the <cable> clutch lever?

Being 180 degrees away places the cable opening is up in the top quadrant
way above the starter.  It would be 180 degrees away from the slave arm
position.

>(2.) If the cable-op lever did clear the starter bendix, would it be
>possible  to rig up the cable box, by converting the operation of the
>Sprite clutch pedal to cable? (I am working on the basis of no bodywork
>      mods / reverseable changes). I don't really like to consider
>cable,  but  it could be a wothwhile "trade-off".

>(3.) Would it be possible to create the exit hole on the other side of
> the box and cover over the original RHD hole, given that that area
> needs to be somewhat excavated to make way for the bendix
>anyway?

You can open up the location for the slave arm to come out in it's usual
LHD position.  There is a boss there already to show the way. Then you
can tap the case to fasten the slave.

>(4.) As it looks like the LHD clutch levers are the same for 4-Speed
>and  5-Speed Sunny/210 g/boxes, is there anyone out there who would
>sell me the LHD Clutch Lever? (I'm assuming here, that having
>created  the exit hole in the RHD 'box, that the LHD clutch lever just
>pops in??

I have some TO arms.

> Looks like it should, from a close examination of Haynes, as the
>pivot  point seems exactly the same)

The pivot point is the same, so is the throwout coller on the front
cover.

>(5.) Would it easier for me to consider fitting another 'box, say a
>Toyota,  (but which one, and maybe there is a LHD/RHD conflict there as
>well?).

That's a popular conversion in the UK and Australia.

>(6.) Should I just forget about a 5-Speed?  "Oggibip" does have a
>Marina   A+ 1275, but then Ireland does not have much in the way
>motorway/  interstate roads. The existing ribbed g/box is working ok.
(BTW,
>9CG and smooth-cases (2) are in corner of garage)

The 5th gear is really nice when you have enough power to utilize it.

>Looking forward to hearing from you, and thanks,
>
>Ron from "Irish Mist" land.
>'59 Sprite "Oggibip"
>
>PS. Guy, We really DID have Summer last week; the sun made it's annual
>appearance on Thursday, 17th 11:10am to 5:31 pm, so there! LOL and
>;-o)

Paul
PAsgeirsson@juno.com