5-Speed Sunny/210 'box:- need advice, please.

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: 5-Speed Sunny/210 'box:- need advice, please.
From: Ron Corry <corry@iol.ie>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 11:00:46
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi List,

I've been thinking about converting "Oggibip" to 5-Speed as per the
Rivergate Restoration Products format.

I have no product experience of any of the Nissan/Datsun range, so
I picked up a Haynes OWM for the Sunny/210 "Aug.78 - Mar.'80" at
the Kilbroney 2000 Classic Car Show, N.I, yesterday. (The '80 above,
refers to the publication date of the manual, rather than the close-out
of the production run of the Sunny/210, which I understand was sometime
in 1982).

Now, it seems that RHD models of this model had a cable operated
clutch, rather then the hydraulic one on LHD versions. Unfortunately,
the cable lever exits the bellhousing at a point which is 180 degrees
opposite to the hyd. one., i.e. the cable give a a 'Pull' operation, rather
than 'Push', and it would <seem> to be rather close to where the starter
bendix enters the bellhousing.

Not having found any example of the 5-Speed G/B yet here in Ireland,
and it being extremely unlikely that I would locate a LHD one here, I
have some questions for the collective wisdom of the list:-

(1.) If the RHD 'box were to be fitted 'as is', do you think the starter
bendix
      would clear the <cable> clutch lever?

(2.) If the cable-op lever did clear the starter bendix, would it be possible
      to rig up the cable box, by converting the operation of the Sprite
      clutch pedal to cable? (I am working on the basis of no bodywork
      mods / reverseable changes). I don't really like to consider cable,  but
      it could be a wothwhile "trade-off".

(3.) Would it be possible to create the exit hole on the other side of
      the box and cover over the original RHD hole, given that that area
      needs to be somewhat excavated to make way for the bendix anyway?

(4.) As it looks like the LHD clutch levers are the same for 4-Speed and
     5-Speed Sunny/210 g/boxes, is there anyone out there who would
     sell me the LHD Clutch Lever? (I'm assuming here, that having created
     the exit hole in the RHD 'box, that the LHD clutch lever just pops in??
     Looks like it should, from a close examination of Haynes, as the pivot
     point seems exactly the same)

(5.) Would it easier for me to consider fitting another 'box, say a Toyota,
     (but which one, and maybe there is a LHD/RHD conflict there as well?).

(6.) Should I just forget about a 5-Speed?  "Oggibip" does have a Marina
      A+ 1275, but then Ireland does not have much in the way motorway/
      interstate roads. The existing ribbed g/box is working ok. (BTW, 9CG
      and smooth-cases (2) are in corner of garage)

Looking forward to hearing from you, and thanks,

Ron from "Irish Mist" land.
'59 Sprite "Oggibip"

PS. Guy, We really DID have Summer last week; the sun made it's annual
appearance on Thursday, 17th 11:10am to 5:31 pm, so there! LOL and ;-o)