Re: Cracked Timing Cover

To: Tom Zuchowski <tzuchow@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Cracked Timing Cover
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:36:02 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Tom,
been there...twice.
The problem is caused by a bad design.  The breather can vibrates and
eventually breaks the cover.  Later covers had a little bracket at the top
end of the breather can (where the hose connects) to keep it from
vibrating.
You can fix this with JB Weld, but you have to make a bracket too.
Here is what I did on my old engine.
Clean the area really well down to the metal with a wire brush and
acetone.  You may have to remove some parts to really get to it, maybe the
radiator.
Assemble a stack of washers that fits between the breather and the cover
at its upper end.  Superglue the washers together.  JB Weld the crack and
the washer stack in place.

This will do it.  It lasted for years for me.

I recommend to everyone whose cover is not cracked and who doesn't have th
ebracket, to add the "stack of washers" before it cracks.

Ulix

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Tom Zuchowski wrote:

> Again I turn to the accumulated wisdom of the List. . .
>
> Yesterday I pulled my radiator to have it rebuilt, and I made an unhappy
> discovery.
>
> The front timing cover on the 1275 engine is cracked where the breather can
> attaches to it. I can wiggle the breather and watch the crack open and
> close. (This might explain why my oil leaking has gotten so bad lately.)
>
> How much trouble an I in? It looks like a LOT of work to get that timing
> cover off. Do I have to pull the engine? Can something like this be welded
> closed, or do I have to find a replacement? I am tempted to try cleaning it
> up and applying a generous fillet of JB Weld around the breather. This is a
> driver, not a show car.
>
> Any and all opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks in advance. You have always come through for me!
>
> Tom Zuchowski
> '61 Bugeye
> Clemmons, NC

http://students.washington.edu/~ulix/         '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9