Re: Need Some Tunes

To: jayburden@home.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Need Some Tunes
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 11:06:04 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
jayburden@home.com writes:

<< I have a 67 sprite and i need a radio badly in it. Anybody have any ideas
 for mounting, or mounting kits? I would like to have it look good, if
 possible. Any thoughts would be great.  >>

Jason, I have a '77 Midget without a radio.  Well, the DPO had a "Unisef"
radio in it when I got it, with a bowl full of spaghetti wiring behind it.  I
quickly removed that.  (It was a real charity case!)

I measured the opening and it appears to be the same as a standard DIN radio.
 I picked up a "Universal Import" radio mounting kit at Walmart for $10.00
which I believe will allow me to mount almost any modern radio that is a
standard DIN mount.

I haven't bought a radio yet, but I will look for one that doesn't have much
depth.  I will also attach a strap to the grounding bolt at the back of the
radio to support the back.

If your console accepts a shaft mount radio (square hole for the face with
two round holes for the controls), there are several still available from
Crutchfield and others.  Make sure you get one with adjustable shafts so they
don't stick out too far.  You could remove the console and cut the opening to
receive a standard DIN mount as another option.

I have a pair of KLH (I think) patio speakers in water resistant plastic
boxes that I am going to mount with Velcro to the shelf behind the seats.
BIG 4" woofers!

Good luck,

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget