Rubber Bump Stop Patent #55

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rubber Bump Stop Patent #55
From: Gary Speckman <speckman@coredcs.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 09:13:47 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
At 12:42 PM 7/2/99 +1000, Mike Gigante wrote:
>My wedge solution is based on a bit of rectangular alloy bar (1/4" thick
>and the same width as the spring (1.5" I think).

As Mike G pointed out, after installing the "wedges" to lower the back of
the car, the bump stops HAVE to be modified.

He also said 1/4" will lower the car quite a bit, this is true, so dont be
tempted to go overboard.

The reason the bump stops have to be modified is that if you dont, you will
be "riding" on the bump stops, effectively eliminating any suspension
travel. This is a VERY dangerous condition, as the car needs this travel for
safe handling.  I have seen a car modified like this, without the
modification to the bump stops roll over after hitting the slightest bump in
a high speed corner in the track at BlackHawk Farms.  I was behind the
fellow and was observing the lack of any suspension movement as he ran
around the track.  After the incident, I went over and saw the reason.

The modification, although patented by Mike G, is to simply cut off the
bottom half, at least, of the rubber stop.

Gary Speckman
Plover WI