Re: Rear Spring recomendation

To: theskinny@excite.com
Subject: Re: Rear Spring recomendation
From: cliff <cliff@randell24.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 21:51:24 +0100
Cc: AHSprite78@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi,

I've spent a lot of time experimenting with rear springs and ride heights. I got
really tired (English understatement) of changing springs and fitting lowering
kits. I used to climb out of my 1972 1275 Midget onto the kerb (when I could
open the door). I finally figured - you don't HAVE to be this low to go round
corners as if you're on rails (try a 911 if you can).

So I threw away the rear lowering blocks (they ruined my rear springs after 50
miles anyway), fitted telescopics and 1500 springs to the rear (firm with good
control -  they don't move when you don't want them to), and got the Frontline
kit for the front - NO lowering.

The end result is reasonable road clearance, tight responsive handling and it
all lasts - rear springs and dampers over six years, Frontline kit over two
years so far. The car is an outright winner of rallies and autotests too.

Cliff