5 Speed Conversion

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: 5 Speed Conversion
From: Dave Hiley <dhiley@cadvision.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 13:24:38 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Fellow Listers

Briefly - I made it to Rally in the Valley in Vernon, B.C. over last
weekend.  Despite the really cold and wet weather the Pacific N.W. has been
having there were approx. 150 cars from as far away Minnisota and Oregon.
This was the first long trip since my rebuild and the engine ran perfectly
- it seemed to get stronger as I went along.  It will easily pull 6k rpm in
4th with the stock diff, even on moderate inclines - much faster than I
want to travel on a regular basis.

The bad (read expensive) news is that my transmission lasted all of 6
seconds in my first run of the slalom.  I am not very knowledgeable on
trannys but I am lead to believe the cluster gear shed some metal and I now
have a very clunky 1st and reverse.  I drained the case looking for chunks
and then refilled it and drove 300 miles back using only 2,3 and 4 with no
problem.

My plan is to convert to a 5 speed Datsun 210 tranny now rather than
rebuild the stock one.  I have located one the "recycler" wants $300 US
for.  Does this sound reasonable?  What's the going rate?  What should I be
looking for?  Should I figure to do a rebuild on it anyway before putting
it in?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
dave
72 Midget MKIII