Re: Camshafts

To: Kroyell@aol.com
Subject: Re: Camshafts
From: cliff <cliff@randell24.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 22:11:43 +0100
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
For those of you interested in camshafts, here's my experience:-

For many years I was very happy with the standard cam in my '73 Spridget - it
performed very well in autotests partly because I'd uprated the engine in all
other respects to Stage III. It wasn't so impressive in rallies or on the track
-
but didn't disgrace itself.

So when the clutch failed last year I thought it was time to try experimenting
with the cam and fitted a 276. The result - it flew! Really rough at idle,
deafening exhaust, no pull below 2,000rpm but above 3,000 rpm I was s**tting
myself - very enjoyable!

As I also use the car for occasional commuting I had to do something to calm it
down so I fitted a standard 1500 two box exhaust instead of the big bore
straight
through system. The idling is still a bit lumpy, the exhaust noise is much
quieter (I don't need earplugs above 60 mph anymore), and it pulls from 1000rpm.
It still flies above 3,000 rpm - though I don't have to grasp the steering wheel
to stop me being left behind! If I ever race it on the track I can always
replace
the old exhaust system.

Apart from the lumpy idle, the only other downside is that the timing setting
appears to be REALLY critical. It can still win autotests.

Cliff