Re: Minilite & Tires followup againand again .Tires not rubbinganymore !

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Minilite & Tires followup againand again .Tires not rubbinganymore !!!
From: Mymgmidget@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 18:15:51 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 7/7/99 11:24:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ulix@u.washington.edu writes:

<< Mike,
 is it rubbing in a straight line or only in corners?  (then you need a
 Panhard rod)

 Compare clearances left and right.  Is there much more clearance on the
 left?  Then you can try to move your axle over (or let the Panhard rod do
 it?)

 If you gind the inner lip, grind only part ways to the spot welds.

Just came in from workin on the tire situation....   The clearance is off a
bit.  The left tire has plenty of room (3/4 in).  The right side has 1/4 in
at rest .  The right thing as Ulix suggested is to move the axle over the
difference.  But dor a quick fix I went to a couple combinations... Tried the
roll the fender bit ,,,,   Wrecked the kids baseball bat next door  :-).
Never knew that Midgets were built so solidly :-)   All the bat trick did was
wreck the bat and push the rubber tire in !!!  So next I took to the sledge
hammer as someone suggested.  All that did was scrape my knuckles on the drum
!!! NO movement at all of the lip !!!.  Sat back, had a Bud, and started
thinking.....  A Bottle jack !!!   Rested the bottle jack against the drum
and put the other end onto the end of the lip.  Started cranking.... lifted
the body up till the rebound straps got tight and then things started
happening.  It bent the lip up and didnt distort the fender any.  I hept
moving the jack 1/2in at a time and started pumping.  Took all of 1 1/2 hrs
to bend up 5 inches of inner lip.  Put the old tire back on and now I have
clearence enough that its not rubbing.   Now ya got me thinking of a panhard
rod and new springs.   There is a spring place right near my house so I may
go over there and have them re-arch ? or add a leaf ? Any suggestions on
where to buy new springs other than Moss or VB ??  What are the advantages of
the panhard rod anyway other than eliminating axle hop.  Do they keep the
axle square on hard cornering also ??  All suggestions gratefully accepted
!!!

Thanks,
Mike

78 Midget
74 GT (being neglected) and put back together