Re: Panhard rod question

To: <Ajhsys@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Panhard rod question
From: "Ric Bergstrom" <Ric_Bergstrom@britishcarclub.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 13:52:17 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
-----Original Message-----
><< What are the advantages of
> the panhard rod anyway other than eliminating axle hop.

They don't eliminate axle hop.  Radius links or traction bars would
stop that.  They stop the spring from winding up into a shallow "s"
shape then releasing the energy and "hopping" the back end.

The Radius link and the spring form a parallel linkage that
restricts this windup and locates the axle front to rear.  The mini
mania combo bar kinda does both.  I have never tried it but don;t
like it as the link is real short.  This forces the axle to move in
a slight arc as it goes up and down.  I would think it might mess
with roll centers too.

 >Do they keep the  axle square on hard cornering also ?? >>

Again radius links will keep the axle perpendicular to the
centerline of the car

>I'll let my ignorance show a bit here, but that's how we all
learn.>
Only stupid question is the unasked one.

 > I'd like to hear (read) an explanation of panhard rods also.

Panhard rods locate the axle side to side in the car.  It is
attached with a rod end at the far left side to the car and a rod
end at the far rightside to the spring/shock perch.  It also affects
roll centers of the car (which I won't try to explain here!).  But
you want it horizontal when the car is in its normally weighted
condition (driver and fuel).

 >What is the difference between that and an anti-sway bar, and how
does each work?

Better called an anti roll bar.  they are a U shaped bar attached to
the body along the base of the U and to the car suspension at the
tip of the U.  On bumps they have no effect as long as both wheels
are going up or down at the same time.  As the car rolls the lifted
wheel (inside of the corner) is trying to transfer the force of its
coil spring thru the roll bar to the opposite side.

You can balance a car by changing roll rates.  If the car
understeers you can add a rear bar or make the front one smaller.
If the car oversteers then you put on a big front bar.  You can also
mess with stiffness of mounting bushings.

Roll bars are nice in that you can strike a balance between
cornering flat and still having decent spring rates for suspension
travel.

So the radius links locate it front to rear, the panhard locates it
side to side and the roll bars control the weight transfer (and thus
roll) along the cars centerline.

I have Radius links, panhard, rods, no rear sway bar, Tube shocks,
lowering blocks and the rear end is great.  The car does understeer
a bit, but that can be balanced out with throttle and driving
technique.  Understeer safe, oversteer fun but scary!

>Some autocrossing is in the future of my Midget, if I ever get it
on the road.

Humbling experience.  Very fun.

>Thanks,

Anytime!