Re: Smoke - another of life's mysteries!

To: patrick.elliott@attws.com
Subject: Re: Smoke - another of life's mysteries!
From: theskinny@excite.com
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 22:59:42 PDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
>>Since we're on the subject (I would have said thread, but
somebody hates
that term.) My rebuilt motor has a strange habit.
 I'll start it up the first time in the morning and if I let it
sit still
(which is hard to do!) it runs clean for about five minutes, Then
it starts
to belch oil smoke for about 2 or 3 minutes. After that it runs
clean.  If I
start it, jump in and go tearing off through the mountains, It'll
run clean
for about 2 minutes then belch smoke for 30~45 seconds, clean up
and be fine
the rest of the trip. <<

I thought I was the only one who's car does this, and was a little
embarrassed to admit it.  I am running a Weber, with a stock 1275, PCV off
of the timing cover through a small generic PCV valve, and into a pickup in
the balance tube of a Cannon intake manifold.  I thought the oil was being
sucked through the PCV system.  If I disconnect the PCV system, the engine
belches oil out the rear seal.  Like yours it only happens for a short
period of time, and not immediately.

Dave Riker