Re: Whistle

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: Whistle
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 11:01:47 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Frank Clarici wrote:

> Fellow side curtain drivers
>
> I have a whistle in my Bugeye that starts at 45 mph and goes away at 60
> mph.
> This is a whistle that sounds like it is coming from the right side.
> The top is off and no side screens on. I can not find it. My wife tried
> blocking the antennea, cupping all corners of the windscreen, door
> opening, even what she could reach on the back side of the bonnet. Still
> whistles. It is not coming from under the windscreen rubber.
> It was not there last year, it has been there since I installed the
> sloted wheels.
> Could it be the slots? That is the only difference to the car but why
> only one (right front) wheel if it is the wheel?
> It sure sounds like it is coming from the antennea but I would think
> cupping hands all over it would find the whistle.
> For a cure I just go faster then 60 but I have to go thru the 40s and
> 50s to get there and sometimes traffic does not allow 65+.
> It is driving me nuts, it is a high pitched whistle most annoying @ 55
> MPH!

If you think it is the wheels you could try to make a 4 of smooth
hubcaps from some stiff cardboard and either duct tape or racers tape.
I would cut the cardboard to cover the entire rim and tape into place.
Sort of like the hubcaps that the land speed racers run at Bonniville.
You could cut them bigger then the rim and tape them right to the tire.
Just run these thing down the GSP late a night so if they come off you
won't scare the Tuesday morning commuters.

You could also just cover the slots with duct tape, much easier and
quicker.  If that fails you could try the above hubcaps.  Since "we
tight" (TM), you could spray paint them silver just so they look
nice :-)

---
Bill Gilroy
77 Midget