Re: I'm legal

To: "Craig P Carter" <craig@papillon.its.yale.edu>
Subject: Re: I'm legal
From: theskinny@excite.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:50:03 PDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
>>Question - Very close to my right -side bonnet hinge and behind
>>the charcoal canister, there is a small tin Lucas box with four
>>wires connected. I can't seem to identify this component in the
>>wiring diagram. Does anyone know what it is?
>>
>>Craig
>>74 Midget GAN5UE145918G

Hi Craig
Unique to the 74 Midget (and all 1974 cars) was a one year mistake called
seat belt interlock.  Your car also has a hidden black box behind the
dashboard with lots of interestingly un-british wire color code wires.
Diaphram switches in the seat, a sensor in the ignition switch, and switches
in the seatbelt anchor detected whether or not the seat belt was fastened
properly before attempting to start the car.  The black box then sends a
signal to the relay that you are wondering about, completing the circuit and
allowing the car to start.  Since the law that required all that sh*t was
revoked the same time the cars were arriving at dealerships, the system was
deactivated, but not removed.  You can bypass and remove this relay if you
wish, but it technically is already bypassed.  You can also remove the
Yellow wire with pink tracer, and install a kill switch.

David Riker

(As mentioned elsewhere, this was a long winded way of saying it is just one
more lucas box to make smoke)