Re: Free Midgets and Me (LOOOONG)

To: Brad Fornal <toyman@htcomp.net>
Subject: Re: Free Midgets and Me (LOOOONG)
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:04:14 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@workgroup.net>, spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, robert@woozy.com
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Brad,
my '73 block is a thick flange block, my '67 is a thin flange block.
I could measure the thickness for you at home, but you could also look in
"Original S&M" (which we should all have), there is agreat picture of the
two side by side.
Ulix

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Brad Fornal wrote:

> Congrats to ya Adrian,I know the feeling you have right now,I bought a pair
> of '73  Midgets about 200 miles from my house for $600, we got one running
> using the other as a donor.ATTENTION all gurus,did the 73 come with a "heavy
> block" I have a friend looking for a 1275 to rebuild and mentioned something
> about the thickness of the oilpan rail being a determining factor, the one
> that came out of the donor is taking up space in my shed and I want to be
> sure of what I'm selling before shipping it?!Does anyone know what the
> thickness of the rail should be on these "better"blocks ?TIA     Brad Fornal
>
> J. Adrian Barnes wrote:
>
> > I like that subject line much better than one of my previous ones ($3K
> > Midgets and Me).
> >
> > Well, thanks to Robert Weeks, I am now the proud owner of a 1975 Mustard
> > Yellow Midget.  I think the technical term for "Mustard Yellow" is
> > actually Harvest Gold (the same color as my first Midget).  So here's
> > the story, in case anybody's interested.
> >
> > Yesterday I talked my dad into hooking up a U-Haul tow dolly to his
> > Blazer and we zipped from Knoxville down to Atlanta (200 miles or so) to
> > pick up this car.  (Observation:  If you ever are going to pick up a
> > car, try to rent the tow dolly when you get to your destination rather
> > than drag it behind you empty.  The vibrations are intense.)  Anyway,
> > the guy's directions were good so we went straight there.  Met the
> > folks, who were very nice, and then started to prepare the car for the
> > journey.  I brought 4 spare wheels, and used three of them.  We also had
> > to free up the rear passenger brake before it would roll.  Turns out the
> > car had been sitting for 7 years.  I was slightly concerned about
> > whether the car would fit on the U-Haul tow dolly since I had heard so
> > much about U-Haul saying it wouldn't fit.  However, the car fit
> > perfectly, better than on any other tow dolly I've ever used, and it
> > even had some room to spare.  Hooked it up and we were on our way.
> >
> > Now, the guy didn't really want to get rid of it I think but his wife
> > did.  She had a huge smile when we got there, and it kept growing
> > exponentially while we were there.  I've never seen such a smile as the
> > one I saw in our rear view mirror as we pulled away.
> >
> > Anyway, we stopped at Shoney's and then noticed one my my tires was
> > going flat.  One can of fix-a-flat later and we were on the interstate.
> > Those tow dollies sure work nicer with a car on them.  The trip home was
> > totally uneventful.  Upon arrival we found that the top, which had dry
> > rotted, was now scattered along the interstate between herer and there.
> > Not much was left at all.  This morning I put my hard top on it because
> > they were calling for rain.  Anybody have a spare used top?  By the way,
> > it took 2.5 hours down and only 2.75 hours back.
> >
> > Here are the particulars:  Mustard Yellow, Weber downdraught, and
> > header.  From a quick overview, it's missing all the carpet, has a good
> [...]

http://students.washington.edu/~ulix/         '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9