Re: Welder Recommendations

To: Philip Hubbard <hubbard@idir.net>
Subject: Re: Welder Recommendations
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 01:05:39 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Philip Hubbard wrote:
> 1)  What features do I need to look for?  I.e., is there a minimum amp
> rating (85, 100, etc.) I need?

  For most car work, any of those is plenty. Most of the work
you do is sheetmetal, so you'll be using a very low setting.

  But it is nice to have the higher settings to weld up a
spring hangar or something.

> Seems if the wire is not constantly hot
> this makes things easier.

  I would consider this an absolutely must. I wouldn't
consider a live wire machine, especially for learning.

> Also, one where you can make small variations in
> heat settings rather than just 4 or 5 preset ones.

  I suppose it is a good thing, but my machine (Lincoln 100)
has only four heat settings and I've never found it
to be a problem.

  Another item I'd recommend if at all budgetable
is an automatic darkening welding helmet. It will really
improve the quality of your work. I recommend the type
that take a battery, they darken faster than the pure
photochemical kind.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca