Welder Recommendations

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Welder Recommendations
From: Philip Hubbard <hubbard@idir.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 23:27:23 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Ok good list folks, I've talked to enough people who say even I can learn
to weld so I've decided to stop whining and cringing in fear and get a dang
welder and go at it - though it may or may not be on the '73 sitting on
blocks as I'm still debating that one.

Having consulted the list archives, I feel ok about brining this up again.
The summary of the archives seems to run the course of most of the names
out there:  Miller, Lincoln, Tip, Hobart, Century, Daytona...

Here are a few questions to supplement the info gleaned from the archives.

1)  What features do I need to look for?  I.e., is there a minimum amp
rating (85, 100, etc.) I need?  Seems if the wire is not constantly hot
this makes things easier.  Also, one where you can make small variations in
heat settings rather than just 4 or 5 preset ones.

2)  Is there a chain that has consistently decent prices?

3)  I can get a Clark 100e for $330 locally.  Anyone with experience with
these?

Thanks for any advice.
Philip
1974 Damask Red Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos
1973 Damask Red Midget - project car