Old Speckled Hen Encounter

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Old Speckled Hen Encounter
From: Bob Spruck <bspruck@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 08:28:41 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Fellow devotee's of MGs and fine ale:

I had an Old Speckled Hen experience last week after years with none, and
then when I downloaded my email messages that night, I discovered a thread
on same!
I was in Charlotte on business (as usual) and went to dinner at a Mr.
Dunderback's at a mall. It is a German food, beers of the world type place.
The food was good and the 150+ beers were organized by country. When I
remarked that OSH was in the case, the young waiter said he had never had
anyone mention it or drink it. I told him the story of the relationship to
MGs and he said: "Oh, that's the car that's like my Miata!" I jokingly told
him he insulted me and my MG bretheren and that he just lost his tip. He
recovered nicely by saying that he had sold the Miata. It's really too bad
the young folk don't have any appreciation or sometimes even any knowledge
of heritage. My son sure does!

The beer wasn't too bad. It had been years since I had it last in the
mother country. Now I have an authentic beer bottle to go with the unused
OSH beer mat I've been coveting all these years. The best part is I'll be
back soon and will consume their stock and distort their usage statistics!
I'll be thinking of "our heritage" as I'm drinking.

Cheers!

Bob
'67 Midget Vintage Racer
'72 Midget Street/Show