downed spridget update 3

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: downed spridget update 3
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 00:13:00 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Still trying to figure out why the Sprite died in mid-stride. Symptom: no
spark at plugs, plenty of fuel to carbs.

Following along the BL Workshop Manual diagnostics:

Wiring -- ignition switch to coil:
    With key switch on, connect voltmeter between (+) of coil and good
earth: this gave me +12.8 V -- CORRECT

Coil primary winding:
    Disconnect cable from coil (-) negative terminal, connect voltmeter
between the (-) terminal
     and good earth, turn key switch on: this gave +12.8 V -- CORRECT

Distributor points, LT wiring and earth:
    Reconnect coil leads, connect voltmeter between (-) negative terminal
of coil and and good earth,
    remove dizzy cap, switch on ignition, and held open the points: this
gave +12.8 V -- CORRECT

Coil secondary winding and capacitor:
    Pulled the coil HT lead from the dizzy cap, removed dizzy ccap,
switched on ignition,
    held the HT lead about 1/4 inch from good earth and flicked the points
open: this gave a good,
    bright blue spark between the HT lead and the engine block -- CORRECT

Rotor arm insulation:
    Switched on the ignition, held the coil HT lead 1/8 inch away from
rotor arm tip, flicked the points open: this gave a weak, yellow spark.
--NOT CORRECT

This suggests that the rotor arm insulation is shot and the rotor arm must
be renewed. COULD THIS BE THE PROBLEM? The only reason I wonder is that
there was absolutely no warning that the insulation was going bad, nor does
the rotor arm look bad at all. Plus, this is a relatively new rotor arm,
having about 7,000 miles on it.

If anyone has other diagnostics, please pass them along and I'll test them
IF a new rotor arm doesn't solve my problem.

Thanks to all who replied. I really appeciate it. And, if I hadn't had
meetings that started at 8:30 this morning and ended at 9 tonight, I
probably couldlve solved this today with your help. Terrible how work gets
in the way of important things!

Jeff

Jeff Boatright    __o_\__           '65 Austin-Healey Sprite
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html