Re: Engine paint

To: Palmer Family <amesfolks@snovalley.com>
Subject: Re: Engine paint
From: Michael Dietsche <mdietsche@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:11:41 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: MG List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
The auto parts store chains all carry engine enamels, such as Plasticote brand
at Pep Boys. WalMart usually carries car engine paint as well. They all seem to
work fine.  The metallic colors seem to apply the best, especially the silvery
ones.  Plasticoat makes a high-temp engine primer as well; I've had good luck
using it as a first coat (but the primer's probably not necessary unless you're
very picky).  Getting the surface clean first seems to be the real trick to
getting a good result.

You'll notice two temp ranges on the engine paints.  One variety is about 500
deg, and the other is well above 1000 deg (actually intended for exhaust
parts).  That 1000 deg+ variety does not dry unless it's cooked in an oven or
by the temp of the surface it's applied to.  Until you really heat it up it
will smear, so it can be hard to apply if you're handling or touching the part
very much.  Even the 500 deg type seems to benefit from a good cooking. When I
painted sheet metal in a factory we used to bake the freshly painted parts in a
big oven, to even out the application and really harden it, and that was
ordinary enamel.  Since then I've always tried to bake on any enamel finish
I've applied, including car parts. Be carefull of catching them on fire in your
oven!!!

For an engine and accessories I'd recommend the 500 deg engine enamel,
Plasticoat or any name brand at a parts store.  I've tried the outdoor grill
black (like at Ace Hdwe) and been disappointed with it for painting auto
parts...it held up ok, but cosmetically wasn't as good as some of the specialty
enamels.

--- Palmer Family <amesfolks@snovalley.com> wrote:
> So, what type of (high temp) paint should I use for my block and head of my
> 1275!?
>
> I am not having a color war here, seeing as it's going to be a custom one,
> just a brand and a supplier!
>
> Barry

===

Michael B. Dietsche, P.E.