Help with Rear Springs Needed

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Help with Rear Springs Needed
From: "Paul A. Dolloff, Ph.D." <pauld@ekpc.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:41:42 EST5EDT
Cc: mrbugeye@hotmail.com
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
List Meisters,

I ran into some trouble last night installing my rear springs.  I gave
my buddy Peter S. a call at 10:00pm and he gives me good advice -
but I am hoping to find an alternative because I couldn't get his
suggestion to work - and I wasn't going to call him back at 11:00.

On the left side (haven't gotten to the right) of the car, I installed the
rear spring to the car using the plate in front and the shackle in the
rear.  Now I can't get the U-bolts in the center to reach.  Peter told
me to place a jack underneath the spring and raise it to the axle.
Well, the jack started to lift the car off of the jack stand - as he
warned me.  He told me to place bags of quick-crete in the boot for
weight.  "I ain't got none!"

So, has anyone tried using long u-bolts to draw the spring up and
when close replace with the proper size u-bolts, one at a time?
Will I be strong enough to draw the spring up?

Alternatively, if I drop the check strap and the exhaust, will the axle
drop low enough to meet the spring?  If I do this, how will I get the
check strap back on?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Later,
Paul