Re: going fast up hill 1 mile at a time

To: "cfchrist" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: going fast up hill 1 mile at a time
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:29:50 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Chris you have hit on a really interesting subject... that of attendance at
Racing events... such as solo 1 and so on.... Some times I think folks
don't know how easy it really is to get involved in an event like the SCCA
puts on...

I know My type of racing is a bit different... but if someone brought their
Spridget out to see how fast it would go.. our folks would do everything in
the world to help them do that... sure there are fee's but not huge
compared to the gains you get from a couple of days of racing....and in
Land Speed Racing this isn't a Drag strip where your dumping the clutch and
so on... But you are pulling on your motor for a full mile and the average
car simply doesn't have a problem doing that...

Now your race car might even like a crack at something like this... I think
H Modified Sports is even an open record.... see that... you could raise a
little hell and Chuck Rothfuss is an active SCCA guy who regularly races
with us..

Keith Turk ( hey we don't even have hills....) D Gas Altered Camaro and a
handful of Brit toys...

---------
> From: cfchrist <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
> To: spridgets@autox.team.net
> Subject: going fast up hill 1 mile at a time
> Date: Monday, July 26, 1999 3:03 PM
>
> yes there are hillclimbs in the poconos and not too far away aereas.  it
> seems that there is a little problem with advertising these events as far
as
> spectators are concerned.  if no advertising is done then the
responsibility
> of extra insurance is waved, but if it is publisised....then it is
> considered a spectator event.   now as a driver i am concerned about the
> dwindling amount of entries.  my father drove hillclimbs,roadraces,and
ice
> raced from the mid 50's to 68 when health concernes side lined him.
> hillclimb entries were 150-200plus back then.  now50-75 car field is what
is
> left in this aerea.  it is fun to have 4,5 and possibly even6 runs a day
for
> 2 dats now to get your best time for your class.  but with out having a
new
> influx of owners/drivers it may die a slow and painfull death.  i heard
some
> uplifting news for the future that a group was going to look at some
north
> central pa. hills to be considered for future sites.  the remaining
events
> for solo1 scca/pennsylvania hillclimb assoc. events are  weatherly pa.
and
> durea in reading pa.  i also believe that there are 2 remaining events at
> summit point on the jefferson course also.  not having a schedual here
dates
> escape me (sorry).  but there are 4-5 spridgets that show up from 1 event
> another.  and an array of other stuff too!  i can not stand to spectate
> personally because it just teases me and i just get withdrawl after that.
> but i do recomend that no matter where you reside you check out your
local
> scca or other sanctioning body for solo 1 events as they are quite
> interesting and could use the public's support.   and on to crank
> scrapers.........it is a device that is shaped to near the shape of the
> rotating mass(crank/rods) which attaches to the block at the same place
> where the oil pan bolts on. instead of continuing to bounce the oil
around
> tit controlls the oil being thrown in the block and assists it in
returning
> to sump instead of going else where first.  my best description here.
and