Re: My engine won't turn

To: Nory P <nory_midget@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: My engine won't turn
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 03:28:03 -0400
Cc: Bob Askew <robert_askew@bc.sympatico.ca>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Nory P wrote:

> I seem to recall another lister with a similar problem
> a while back.  I believe he filled the cylinders with
> diesel fuel to free them up.

  That sounds like me.

  Actually, my problem wasn't that the engine didn't
turn, it was that the rings were gummed up so I
had almost no compression. Soaking in diesel loosened
them up enough to start the engine, then they loosened
with motion and heat and the engine ran again.

  Penetrating oil is more likely to work if the
rings are rusted to the bores. Penetrating oil
for days, then find a piece of firewood or 2x4
that fits in the bore, put it on, and tap on
the end with a hammer. If it doesn't free easily,
more oil, and try again.

  The tapping helps the oil creep into the rusted
join, and eventually it'll free up.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca