Re: Timing the 1275 ? (vac. advance with a sidedraft)

To: "Bryan Vandiver" <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: Timing the 1275 ? (vac. advance with a sidedraft)
From: "David Riker" <davidr@sunset.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 20:21:31 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Bryan,
My experience, limited to my own car and 3 different engines is as follows.
1.  Vent Crankcase to atmosphere and leak oil like crazy.
2.  Use manifold vacuum and a PCV valve from an 80's 4cyl engine of similar
size.   If the engine has been bored with extra piston to bore clearance, or
is tired, this results in occasionally sucking some oil and blowing blue
smoke (an equally embarassing phenomenon)
3.  Same as above but with an engine in good condition works very well.

I have a Cannon Manifold, and to make sure that both intake ports were
leaned out equally, I tapped a hole into the balance tube.  The engine I
have in the car now is of unknown origin (long story there).  At the point
that the engine warms up it seems to pull a little oil through the PCV and
it smokes for about one block. Then the problem goes away and the car runs
great the rest of the time.

It has been a long time since I read Vizard's book, so I don't remember what
he recommended.  I am curious as to what he recommends.

David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon