Re: Shaking Steering

To: Greg Mahney <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Shaking Steering
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 20:57:26 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Greg Mahney wrote:

> Would any one care to offer a diagnosis on the basis of this info... (or at
> least a priority order for checking things).
>
> Every time aI drive my 1963 sprite and reach certain specific speeds eg 24
> mph, 46 mph, I feel a stong vibration through the steering wheel, like I've
> run over a particularly rough bit of road.  When I'm not at those speeds it
> is fine.

Greg

Bad tie rod ends will cause this problem too but you will tend to notice
it only after you round a turn or curve.
Not quite round wheels will do it too.
Try to isolate which side it is and try the spare wheel.
Bad trunnion bushings, weak shocks, and of course king pins and A arm
bushings need to be in decent shape too.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ