Cluster gear

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cluster gear
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:03:50 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dear List:

What is a cluster gear and why should I be concerned about it?

Specifically, the Midget gearbox is noisy in 1st and reverse.  My original
understanding of this is that the lack of synchromesh is responsible.  The
gears run fine.  But I saw on someone's Spridget inspection checklist that
loud gears can be due to a faulty cluster gear.  What is the answer?

In any case, I haven't yet had the opportunity to check/change my gear oil.
One of the reasons is that the stout-hearted souls of this list suggested
that I should not use an oil heavier than 50wt, and that I would want a
fluid that did not attack brass or bronze fittings.  Yet one of the
recommended fluids, Redline, which is available in the Moss Catalog,
actually is specified as a 70wt oil.  Help!  I'm truly confused, but I'm
also hopeful that a tranny oil change would quiet the gearbox.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com