Re: Cool LBC

To: Andy Webster <trunkie@hotmail.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cool LBC
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 10:36:20 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
 It was banned for being a Class 1 ODC - ozone
depleting chemical.  R-12's ODP (ozone depleting
potential) is 1.0 .   R-134a's is, you guessed it,
0.0.  Class 2 ODC's like R-22 have ODP's of around
.02.  BUT the GWP (Global warming potential ) is
different, and currently refrigerants aren't banned
for high GWP, but that is the next regulation on the
horizon.   As far as the chemistry goes, it is a free
chlorine molecule that breaks off the fluorocarbon
under the presence of ultraviolet light.  The chlorine
doesn't like being monatomic, and does an oxygen
attracting mating dance, ultimately getting an oxygen
molecule from the O3 ozone.  This Has NEVER been
duplicated in a laboratory.   The Japanese claimed
they did, but it was bad data.

Ron