The truth about thermostats?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: The truth about thermostats?
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 08:27:53 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Good evening list...

Well, I changed the gear oil last evening, and filled it up with the Redline
oil.  Wow, that stuff smells foul...

Along with some other minor items, I was ready to install a thermostat in
the '74 Midget, and upon inspecting the coling system, it no longer appeared
so simple to just open the bolts, apply the gasket, drop in the stat,
tighten the bolts, and go cruising.  It actually looks as though I need to
remove the alternator and drive belt.  Can this be true?  At first glance I
thought I could just loosen three bolts, and that thick metal piece would
just pivot up to allow me access.  What is truly necessary?

Alas, the Hayne's manual is hardly so clear about such items?

In any case, what's the harm in not having a 'stat anyway?  No heat in the
winter, or is there some other problem?

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget