Re: CB Radio noise

To: spritenut@Exit109.com
Subject: Re: CB Radio noise
From: Mark Endicott <endicott@nashville.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 16:59:10 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Frank, This is actually something that I know a little about.  Most of the radio
noise that is generated with a LBC is the HT side of the ignition circuit and is
radiated through the air to the antenna.  Although it may be a lot to do, but
running suppression wires and plugs and shielding the distributor will help a
bunch.  The way you can tell is to remove the antenna and see if most of the
noise goes away.  If it doesn't it is coming through the power lead which
usually
can be fixed with a choke from R.S..  As the generator brushes spark they will
also give off a lot of RF noise.  Usually a small capacitor will fix that (.5
mfd
or so)  The voltage regulator switching will also make noise, again a small
capacitor will fix that.  If you are using a magnetic antenna it will be worse
as
well.  I run a UHF (460 MHz) FM two way in my car and I have a few problems with
it too, so it is not limited to CB.  The older cars are just noisy, all of them,
not just the LBC's.  I have been on the boat drinking beer all day so I hope
this
makes sense!!

--
Mark