Re: Hello from a new listie

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hello from a new listie
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 23:57:24 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
andi payn wrote:

> Hi there. I'm a new list member, and a new Midget owner.
>
> After spending most of my life (from '86 to '98) driving Toyotas (from a
> '77 Celica to an '87 Celica GT-S to a '90 Celica GT convertible to a '93
> MR2 MkII), I decided it was time to get a real car... so I bought a '76
> Midget. Last week.
>
> The idea wasn't totally out of the blue--when I was growing up, my father
> went through a wide range of little British and Italian cars (MGB, Fiat
> 850, Midget, Fiat 124, Fiat X-1/9), and for some reason the Midget always
> appealed to me more than the others (maybe because the 850 caught fire and
> the X-1/9 had a problem with the roof falling off?).
>
> It's black with gold trim and wheels, black leather seats and top. It's in
> pretty good shape, especially for $2000--the body is beautiful, and the
> engine runs smoothly--but there are a few minor issues.
>
> It needs a speedometer cable, the top has a minor tear and needs to be
> replaced, and it's pretty rattly over rough terrain (like Sunset Blvd.
> during all the cable installation that's been going on recently).
>
> The first day I had the car, driving to the DMV to do the whole ownership
> transfer thing, I was approached at a stoplight twice, once by a little
> boy, and once by four little kids--one of whom asked "Is that a toy car?"
> When I said "Yes," he asked if he could drive it... I suppose I should have
> expected that...
>
> Why is it that I see a lot more little cars driving around my neighborhood
> (Hollywood near the West Hollywood border) than in the suburbs, but a lot
> more for sale in the suburbs?
>
> Anyway, a few questions for the list:
>
> Is there a FAQ somewhere that I should read?
> Are there a bunch of links that can get me started searching for Spridget
> info on the net?
> Where can I get a repair manual and an owner's manual?
> Where's the best place near me for parts?
> Is there a good mail-order source for parts (or more than one)?
> Who's the best professional mechanic near me?
> Why doesn't anyone make a car this great anymore?
> Any hints on the ricketiness going over bumps?
> Is it worth converting the suspension to something more modern? Are there
> kits for that? Are they a good deal? How hard is it?
> Is there a reasonably easy way to improve the brakes?
>
> I'm thinking about getting another little car (so at least one will always
> be driveable...). I have a feeling I'm going to get a biased answer on this
> list, but I'll ask anyway. Here's some of the cars I've been looking for;
> compare and contrast (or just flame me for even thinking about ___): Bugeye
> Sprite, another 1500cc Midget, MGB, Lotus Elan, Triumph (not sure which
> model), or maybe leaving England for a Fiat Spider 2000, Fiat X-1/9, Alfa
> Spider, Datsun 1600, 240Z, or maybe a MkI MR2.
>
> Andy Payn
> 76 Midget

I have three Sprite/Midgets, and 1 Fiat Spider. If you want to have a
bit of variety (and a back seat) I would opt for the Fiat Spider. They
are fun to drive, parts are available, and the just look damn good.I
wouldn't get rid of my Spridgets, but I do enjoy the change
occasionally, but then I am still in the working on them stage, and get
precious little driving time in any of the cars.

Just my 2 centavos worth

Mark Snowdon
Greensboro NC