wheel bolt pattern

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, geopro@cyberdrive.net
Subject: wheel bolt pattern
From: derfman <derfman@eatel.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 16:11:42 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi,
>From my 1987 Hot Rod Yearbook, the "Rolling Stock"  article:

4 X 4":  AH Sprite, Buick Skyhawk 75-81, Chevy Vega 71-81, Jensen
Healey, Pontiac Sunbird 76-81 Astre 75-77

4 X 4.250" or 4 X 108MM (same thing):  Audi Quattro 84-85, Ford Fairmont
Mustang Tbird Pinto Fiesta Escort some through 86 or so.

I can list more, if you need.

Are you thinking of drilling your hubs?  I thought about it until I
found some alloy wheels.  To get the extra 1/4" you would only have to
move the bolt holes 1/8" and if you're also installing larger studs you
can probably get away with the swap.  If you can offset drill for 1/2"
studs correctly, you should end up with 4 X 4.250".  Someone correct me
here if I'm incorrect. Similar swaps are discussed in the "Rolling
Stock" article, but for hot rods, mostly.  If anyone tries this, please
let me know how it turns out.  It seems as though you can do this and go
with some nice alloy 14" wheels and 185 60s and get the same rolling
radius and better handling and looks.  Food for thought.
Cheers,
Derf