Re: Maniflow header installed, BUT....

To: Greg Gowins <cartman@dnai.com>
Subject: Re: Maniflow header installed, BUT....
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 23:35:29 -0400
Cc: Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Greg Gowins wrote:

 Now here comes the but...

> I put everything back on the engine, and when I started the engine, she
> fired right up.  But instead of idling, the RPMs kept rising, quickly.  Shut
> everything down, checked the obvious, like the throttle return spring or a
> sticking choke.  Everything checked out fine.  A little more research, and I
> was leaking gas below the intake manifold ports on the head.  No prob, I
> must not have tightened the bolts down enough.  Rechecked and they were
> fine.  A little more looking, and I realized that the middle tube of the new
> exhaust manifold was supporting the intake manifold keeping it from seating
> down all the way!!!  It was short of seating on the gasket by about a 1/8 of
> an inch on the bottom of the intake port.

This is a common problem with mismatched manifolds. At least for me
anyway.
Usually I have to grind off a bit on the intake.
You do have a quick temporary fix. loosen the 4 intake nuts, slip a
split washer on the intake side of each stud, tighten the nuts. It works
for me.
Or grind a bit of the exhaust off, look at the back side, there may be a
weld ridge in the way.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ

60 Bugeye Sprite (my car)
67 Sprite (wife's car)
59 Austin A40 Farina w/AC (daughters car)
71 MG Midget racer (working on it)

http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut/