Re: Relay question

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>, spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Relay question
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 08:57:33 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Relays is relays. There are a couple of series of relays that are quite
universal. The 5 prong you describe is called a "change-over" relay in
that, as you say, 87a is the default path and 87 is the switched path.
Beware as there are some 5-term that are normally open and close both 87a
and 87b.. "double make relays" The pictures on the relays are pretty
self-explanatory. The numbering you have is typical European terminal
markings. In your case 85 and 86 are the coil terminals and it doesn't
matter how they're connected. 87's are alway the "consumer". 30 is always
the power for the "consumer". There are 4 terminal relays that do not have
87a, but these are being discontinued as not connecting 87a is the same as
not having it. As far as amperage goes 30 is probably fine and 40 is ok
too. The specs on the pump you bought will tell you the amp draw. Just make
sure the relay is rated above that. I hope I haven't confused you. But from
your original post, everything you're doing is correct.
        HTH   Peter C.
----