Re: relay answer and question

To: derfman <derfman@eatel.net>
Subject: Re: relay answer and question
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:51:12 -0400
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
derfman wrote:

> First, why are you using a realy on your fuel pump?  Second, why a 30
> amp?  Bear in mind the KISS theory.  The more connections/devices in a
> circuit, the more potential problems you will have.  If you want to be
> cool, run a piece of 14 or 16 gauge wire from a fuse that gets voltage
> when you turn on the key to a switch (spst)  concealed under the dash
> somewhere.   Run a wire from the switch to the fuel pump positive
> terminal.  Turn the switch off for anti-theft mode, on for operation.
> Otherwise, run the wire without the switch to the pump.  Better yet, use
> the wires that powered the old pump if there was one.
>
> To answer your question about the relay terminals:  it depends on the
> maker as to which terminal is marked what.   But, a DC realy coil should
> be wired only one way + to +, - to ground(chassis).
>
> Also, the only stupid question is the one that would have saved grief if
> it had been asked, but wasn't.
>
> Cheers,
> Derf

The reason for a relay is I only want the pump to run when the key
is on and I don't want an extra switch.  If I have a switch that I need to
throw to turn the pump off I am sure that the pump will run 24/7.  As for
the relay, I figure that the less current I draw though the stock harness the
better. As for the 30/40 Amp size it seems to be the most common relay that
auto parts stores have in stock.  I am sure I could find another lower amp
relay if I tried but why bother.  The pump is rated at 2 amps.  This is why
I chose a relay, it seemed like the safe choice.

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget
90 Shar-Pei
E-mail:    wmgilroy@lucent.com