Another spridget hit!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Another spridget hit!
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 08:12:44 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Spridgeteers,

I just have to grouse. I was rear-ended last night while sitting at a red
light. I think my wife is right - I live the cloistered life behind ivy
walls because I'm just astounded at the stupidity of people. Of course, we
won't go into my pattern of doing at least one truly stupid thing
everyday...

Anyway, lady pulls up behind me at a light IN AN SUV (several IQ points
lost right there), stops, then rolls into me while digging for a ciggy-poo
in her purse (double loss of IQ points for smoking and hitting me - at
least she wasn't also on the cell phone). I jump out to check the damage,
and she's somehow managed to stall the truck in a panic. So of course the
first thing she does is try to restart and grinds into the rear-end even
more (damn SUV was probably running on 5 cylinders - it was not new).
Sensing that we had a real winner here, I told her to pull the key out of
the ignition because she's just rolled into me and she wouldn't be going
anywhere for a while. She still had the deer in the headlights look, so I
told her to get out of her truck and give me her insurance info. The damage
was very light - she bumped into the tag light plinth and pushed it in
maybe a quarter inch. I was happy to just get info from her and be done,
but then she refused to admit that she'd bumped me. So, too bad for her. I
called the police and after a long 10 minutes of having to listen to this
person babbling on, a cruiser pulled up. Of course, the woman immediately
claimed that I rolled back into her. Typical. Anyway, she got cited for
following too close, plus her tag was overdue (surprise) plus her insurance
had lapsed (surprise). If the poor misguided soul had just made nice and
fessed up, I wouldn't have pursued this at all. Looking at the damage in
the light of day, I could probably pound it out with a rubber mallet. But,
I guess I'll just let the bodyshop do that. Gee, now I need to figure out
where to go - a Mercedes dealership or a Jag dealership? Seriously, I'll
just take it to the lbc shop, let them look it over to make sure I haven't
missed anything (doubtful), have them pound it out, and just give her the
option to cut me a check for the shop time. As it is, I think the policeman
did her an incredible favor by not citing her for the lapsed insurance and
the expired tag. This was of course totally lost on her. When I left the
scene, she was still whining to him about her miserable life. I think I'll
write the patrolman's chief to let him know this guy did a good job in at
least calming the woman - she lost it several times before he arrived.

Blues, dispair, and agony on me. Deep, dark depression, excessive misery.
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. Blues, dispair, and
agony on me.
  -Bonus points: who sang that and where?

Jeff

Jeff Boatright  '65 Sprite MkIII   __o_\__
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/