trailer queens and judging

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: trailer queens and judging
From: "cfchrist" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 21:41:48 -0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
ummm my bugeye is a trailer queen!  can't drive it anywhere set up for
racing.  won the grand marshall's award at the concour de eligance of the
eastern united states in '91.  it is also an aaca national first place award
winner in '92.  in spite of being hillclimbed it is still quite showable.
stop by at fall hershey friday to see me run it on the stadium oval or
saturday to see it on the show field, please say hello? (i'll be wearing my
"speed research and restoration" black tee shirt)

judging?  i am a past national judge for classic chevrolet club(55-57
chevys) and a national judge with the aaca having achieved a master's level.
it is rewarding to see judging when it works properly.  i am shamed by poor
judging and ballot box stuffing.  you must not judge a car against another
car but against a sheet or given set of standards.  if you judge evry car in
a specific class the same way you are being consistant and it will prove out
in the end.  yes there is a lot of politics!  i got involved because i was
being poorly judged and i chose to "join them" to understand what was going
on?  turned out that i was not what they wanted to see as vintage auto
enthusiast!  long hair in a pony tail and a diamond ear ring just was too
much for their model a&t minds to accept.  so instead of being put off by
this, i decided to show as many times a year as i financially could to show
them i would not just go away.  i am a member of their organization,  they
couldn't refuse my event aplications.  that was almost 10 years ago now and
i now sit on their comittie to certify vintage race cars(road race,hillclimb
and gymkanna).  they have mellowed out(a lot have passed away) and i am now
respected by those who were so worried that i might pollute their private
little corner of the world.

since i do my own work and i show 3 of my cars i do look at restorations a
bit difrently.  but i am consistant and try my best to be fair.  it is a
matter of pride to see that i had a hand in choosing the correct car to
recieve the honors it deserves.  it is easy to be clouded by the car you
have always been in love with on a show field.  if it is the best you will
know after you have judged all the rest and votes tallied.  or possibly
judging is not your cup of tea?

chuck.
allen will attest that i have not cut my hair or removed my earring!