"control box" aka Voltage regulator,

Subject: "control box" aka Voltage regulator,
From: "R. Toby Atwater" <toby.1969ah.1971lc@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 23:14:06 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
    I got a replacement Voltage regulator (or control box, as Haynes refers
to it) from Moss. Moss says its for all 1275 models, BUT it doesn't look
like the one I have (or did, its on the work bench now) in my 69 sprite. My
model looks like the 956 (+/-50cc I forget the cc of the bugeye) voltage
regulator. It even has the screw type of connectors, and not the spade type.
It is also about two thirds the size of the one from Moss. What gives? Is my
sprite a bastard? or is Mo$s the aggressor? I need the sprite tomorrow (for
a wedding) and I'm at a loss. I will try to return the unit and exchange it
tomorrow, but knowing Moss, they will probably have another of my $35. Err
make that VISA's $35. Anybody need a newer type of regulator? I might have
one for sale tomorrow. It is the LUCAS version BTW and not the "Lucas
replacement" kind.

    I did try to make the one I have work (thats always a mistake) by
connecting the appropriate terminal to the newer type of terminal, and
otherwise fiddling, but when I had it hooked up, the starter wouldn't even
turn over, the head lights didn't work, and I wasn't getting any power to
the coil. Other than that, all the accessories worked.

Any help is always appreciated... Tomorrow the wedding is at 4 pm, so I have
a good amount of time at least.

Thanks again...

Toby
Toby Atwater,   Santa Barbara, CA, r.toby.atwater@worldnet.att.net