Re: Undercoating

To: Gary and Kate Bales <kgb@clipper.net>
Subject: Re: Undercoating
From: Bill Elliott <wcelliot@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 18:32:46 -0400
Cc: Lancer7676@aol.com, grbyrns@ucdavis.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Just a note on rubberized undercoating.

In my experience it's excellent for the first few years.  Then
invariably, it will dry and crack and allow moisture in behind it.
Moisture which is preserved by the remaining undercoating and quickly
evolves into rust.  (Almost every rusty car I've junked was undercoated
at some point... but of course it's hard to say that the undercoating
was the reason... maybe the DPO undercoated over active rust)

For a car which is to be driven in all types of weather, I prefer using
Rustoleum and frequent inspections.  Use a light gloss color (I like
machine grey) and at the first sign of any discoloration, immediately
repair.  I will also often "seal" bare metal on floorboards with
fiberglass (one thin sheet and several coats of resin) before painting.
(I think POR has a similar effect.)

My point is to not hide any potential rust.  I drive my cars in
conditions which I shouldn't and have had good luck with the above
advice.

Bill Elliott
Lake Mills, WI