wiper motor wiring and cable

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: wiper motor wiring and cable
From: Ric Otte <otte@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 18:34:57 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi,

I just put a later wiper motor in my Sprite Mk II (because I put in a dual
line brake system and my old one wouldn't fit).  But something is not
right, and I'm wondering if I've got it wired correctly.  For one thing,
the wipers stop as soon as I turn the switch off, and they don't return to
the bottom.  My car's wiring harness has a green and two blacks that hooked
onto the old wiper motor.  The new motor has a plastic connecter, with 5
male pins in the following configuration:

     1
2         3
4         5

Does anybody know which wire goes where?  It looks to me as if there are 3
wires coming off of this plastic connector into the motor (Right now I
forget which colors they are).  I think the new motor is a dual speed motor
and I only have a single switch, so I'm sure I won't use all the pins.

Another question I have is how much drag should be on the cable in the
housing.  I put a lot of wheel bearing grease on the cable before
installing it into the sleeve, but it doesn't seem to slide very easily.  I
also hear the cable grinding against the sleeve (metal on metal) which
worries me.  I had to make some bends in the sleeve to avoid the hood
hinge, but I didn't think this would cause the problems.  So how little
friction should there be?

Thanks,

Ric