Re: wiper motor wiring and cable

To: Ric Otte <otte@cats.ucsc.edu>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wiper motor wiring and cable
From: Eriks Skinkis <eriks@netspace.net.au>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:52:50 +1000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Ric,

I went through the exercise of trying to wire up a two speed motor to a two
position switch late last year. I did mamage to get both speeds and auto
parking to work. I don't have the exact wiring details I came up with me, but I
do remember the auto parking was the biggest headache to figure out.

What I found was that the auto park wire on the wiper motor could only be
connected to power when the slow and medium wires were off. When you supplied
power to either slow or fast, you had to disconnect power from the auto park
lead otherwise there was a certain point in the wiper motors cycle where auto
park lead temporarily shorted to ground. I would imagine that if you left it
permanently connected the auto park swithch/mechanism inside the wiper motor
would eventually destroy itself.

If you study a wiring diagram for a later model Midget you'll see that the
contacts in the two speed on/off  switches do disconnect the power to the auto
park the moment the switch is turned to slow or fast.

In my case I was using a cheap off/on/on toggle switch and the only way I could
get the auto park to work was to wire in a relay to disconected power to the
auto park wire and remain disconnected when I turn my wipers on to both the
slow and fast speeds.

Sorry I couln't tell you which wires exactly to connect, but I hope I've given
you an idea of what needs to happen. If you need any further details, let me
know and I'll have to crawl up inside my dashboard to work out how I eventually
wired it up.

Cheers,
Eriks Skinkis
Sydney, Australia