Smoke problem is moot!

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Smoke problem is moot!
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 10:35:16 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Well, I had an interesting experience in the NJ inspection facility last
night.  Despite the cloud of smoke oozing from the muffler, and the
occaisonal backfire, I passed inspection with no flaws!  I can't figure out
how, though, unless the smoke I'm giving off contains such items as sulfur
dioxide or nitric oxides (acid rain culprits) instead of the carbon monoxide
(smog generator) that they test for.

The operators were rather interesting.  I got to the station late in the
day, and they were about to turn me away, when the first staff member
noticed that I had an unusually small car, and I suspect that they only let
me in so that he could watch his partner at the other end of the facility
struggle to get in an out.  That fellow was about 6-4 and probably 250
pounds.  Anyway, he got in with no problem, but couldn't gracefully
emerge... he ended up falling sideways from the car and crawled out on his
hands!

The one thing that they did not check (surprisingly) were the white reverse
indicator lights, which aren't functioning.  I checked in the Moss catalog,
and I noticed that that light mechanism (the switch, not the lens and bulb)
doesn't seem to be available.  But the diagram was also not clear about
where it is located.  Does anyone know where the wiring for the reverse
lights originates, and what some common flaws could be?

And one final aside:  A passerby on the street mentioned to me that on
Saturday, October 2, there will be a vintage and antique car show in
Montclair, NJ.  Domestic and Vintage, I understand that there will be a few
British cars there.  If anyone is interested, I have a flyer about it.  (I
may not be there though.)

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget