Re: Rear Dick Brakes--Serious reply.

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Dick Brakes--Serious reply.
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 17:12:02 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In fact it is the other way round.  Because a road car is nearly always
heavier than its racing equivalent it can be much harder on brakes than a
racing car.  Consider a racing Sprite might be as much as 200 - 400lbs
lighter than a road Sprite let alone how much more a passenger in the road
Sprite might way and you can see that like for like speeds the road car
brakes work harder.  Ok, the speeds might not be as high for some (though I
have braked from 115mph+ on the road in my Sprite) but given that the brakes
are pulling the car to a dead stop, perhaps time and time again, they are
working harder than just pulling 10 - 60 mph or whatever on a racing Sprite.

As far as rear disks go, unless the car is running big brakes on the front
(whether for road or track) there is no requirement for them.  However, once
you have serious stopping power up front than there is an argument for more
stopping power at the rear.

Daniel1312

<< Maybe for racing, but even there, I would wonder if rear disks would be as