Gearbox rebuild

To: "Midgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox rebuild
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:54:43 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I am currently rebuilding the gearbox for my 74 Midget.  When I took it
apart the little "détente" (not sure this is the right word) in the
first/second gear hub is missing.  I have all the springs and balls, but the
détente is missing.  What I'm calling the détente is the piece that prevents
1st and 2nd gear being engaged at the same time.  It is in the center hub
under the ring gear that shifts into 1st or 2nd.  If anyone has a spare I
could sure use one.  The gearbox has been apart before (not by me) because I
found a gear tooth in the bottom, but all my gears are in good shape.  I
also need one of the springs that go under the side cover.  I've tried Moss,
but they don't sell these parts.  I hate to buy a full transmission for
these two parts.  Also if anyone has any experience rebuilding these
gearboxes and can provide helpful advise it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ken