Re: Sports car, but not an LBC

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Sports car, but not an LBC
From: Rick <rickfisk@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 18:41:04 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
VW called it an "auto stick-shift" or something like that.  I had a '68
Beetle with that trans and it wasn't bad once you got used to it.  It was
a 3 speed and worked great as long as you had a soft touch.  It was a
fairly complicated system though, and all it really did for you was take
away the clutch.  It had a standard 3 speed gear box with a
vacuum-operated dry clutch driven by a torque converter bolted to the
flywheel.  Under the left rear fender was a vacuum storage tank that gave
you 3 or 4 shifts while under the right rear fender was a storage
reservoir for the auto-trans fluid needed by the torque converter.  The
vacuum system was solenoid controlled through a switch mounted on the
shift lever.  Whew!  And all it did was do away with the clutch - you
still had to shift!

Rick

--
Bugeye on TEN