Fuel pump sure works well...

To: "Spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel pump sure works well...
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:50:47 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dear List:

I took the Midget out for a few moments this evening, and came across an
irritating problem.  The fuel pump, which normally clicks 4-5 times prior to
starting up, wouldn't stop.  Fuel was getting into the carbs, since I was
abe to start the motor and drive around the block, but the smell of gasoline
was prominent in the engine bay and cockpit.  Upon stopping the car, I
checked in the rear and did not smell anything, so I would expect that the
flaw is up front.  Since I was at least getting sufficient fuel to turn the
engine over, I am assuming that the fuel line is good between the pump and
the carbs.  Where and why would fuel be leaking from the carbs (suddenly...
it was running just fine on Saturday)?

Since it is too dark to see at the moment, I thought that the list might
have some suggestions of things to check when I start diagnosing.

Since there is a significant possibility that the floats are to blame, what
is involved in adjusting them?  What parts are normally subject to wear?  If
my float is punctured, is it a sign of a more severe problem, or should I
just replace it?  How does one set the level of fuel in the float in the
first place?

Regads,

Charles
'74 Midget (Mostly stock, SU HS2 carbs)