Re: Chassis I.D. number

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chassis I.D. number
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 08:23:33 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Yes, all of them WERE made at Abingdon (except for the M cars noted), making
the G suffix rather redundant for the Sprites and Midgets.  But BMC had
other facilities for other lines of their products, and the addition of the
G appears to have been as a result of a change in corporate policy
concerning the numbering system.
The pattern of Big Healey VIN numbers changed almost at the end of
production, in the summer of 1967, and cars with the new pattern also got
the G suffix (all except the earliest Big Healeys were assembled at
Abingdon); so I would peg the appearance of the G for Sprites and Midgets
about this time.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain