What I need is a flowchart...

To: "Spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: What I need is a flowchart...
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 21:29:01 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dear List:

I truly regret burdening the list once again with a ubiquitous starting
problem with the Midget.  But here goes...

Key in ingition, juice comes on, enough to light the headlamps, fuel pump
clicks a few times.  Then, turning the key results in a forceful click, but
the starter does not turn, nor does the enigine.  The headlamps do not seem
to dim while turning the key.  That would imply no voltage drop, and that
the clicking could represent a failing solenoid.  (But wouldn't that prevent
current from geting to the rest of the electrical system?)

When I have had the occaisonal problem of the starter failling to disengage
from the ring gear, I was not getting much of a clicking sound, and rocking
the car while in gear would cause it to disengage and start normally.

Any ideas about what to check and in what order?

Something about my MG experience must be charmed in some way... every time
the Midget has displayed an anomaly like this (it never breaks down, it just
has anomalies) it always does so within the safe confines of its own garage.
What a good little car.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget