Re: What I need is a flowchart...

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What I need is a flowchart...
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:15:10 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dear List:

I got the '74 Midget started last night.  The car was so happy.

I discovered not one but possibly three problems.  First, I disconnected the
solenoid wires, cleaned the connections, and reattatched them.  I also
whacked the solenoid with a hammer, keeping in mind Frank's usual wisdom.
Second, I inspected the condition of the ground strap, and found it to be
somewhat deteriorated.  I scraped it around down there, and it will be
replaced soon.  With these two steps, I had gotten juice flowing into the
starter again.  Unfortunately, I drained the battery while trying to start
again.  It was shortly after this that I discovered the third problem:  I
had virtually no oil in one of the dashpots.  Thus a jumpstart was required,
after which the car ran just fine.

Steps I will be taking soon include replacing the solenoid (just to be sure,
its cheap) replacing the battery cable, replacing the ground strap, and wire
brushing the frame where the strap contacts.  What is the best way to get a
suitable connection for the strap in an area of the frame where there is
(very light) surface rust?

I am starting to find this car more of an intriguing challenge, as opposed
to a mechanical nightmare.  Sort of like doing the New York Times crossword
puzzle once a week.

Thanks for the advice.

Also, regarding the California car show, does anyone know where I can get
the Spridget 4x4 kit?

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget