Re: latest noise

To: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: latest noise
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 14:17:55 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Larry,

These are new Michelin MX4's. BTW, I love 'em; great in wet and dry.
Anyway, I asked the owner at Gran Turismo, _the_ tire shop in Atlanta,
about rotating radials. He said that this is not a concern with radials
made within the last 10 years. Thanks for the reminder though, cause the
last set probably were 11 years old!

Jeff

At 1:30 PM -0400 10/20/99, Larry Macy wrote:
> Don't switch sides of the car if you are running radial tires. The newer
> radials might not be as sensitive to directional running but it is still
> safer not to take the risk. Switching running directions on a radial may
> damage the core of the tire.
>
> Larry
>
> PS  Note I said MAY!!!!
>
> At this exact moment in time 10/20/99 11:57, Ajhsys@aol.com made the
> profound statement:
>
> >In a message dated 10/20/99 7:25:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> >jboatri@emory.edu writes:
> >
> ><< On the way home from work yesterday, a new noise was born on the
> >Sprite. It
> > is a  muffled "thum... thum... thum... thum..." that varies with road speed
> > but not engine rpm. It sounds like it's coming from the right rear
> > tire/wheel/bearing area. It does not sound like metal on metal. In fact, it
> > sounds like the beginnings of a flat tire, but the tire is not losing
> > pressure. It _may_ lessen with application of the brakes (by pedal or hand
> > brake), but I'm not 100% sure on that. I jacked the corner up and the noise
> > is not apparent when spinning the tire by hand. Unfortunately, I did not
> > have time to do anything else last night. >>
> >
> >- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> >
> >Swap the wheel and tire with the left front.  If the noise stays in the
> >right
> >rear, it's not the tire or wheel.
> >
> >Sherlock Hefner
> >SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
> >'77 Midget
> >'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport
>

> Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
> macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
> System Administrator/Manager
> Neuropsychiatry Section
> Department of Psychiatry
> University of Pennsylvania
> 3400 Spruce St. - 1015 Gates
> Philadelphia, PA 19104
>
>  Ask a question and you're a fool for three minutes; do not ask a
> question and you're a fool for the rest of your life.

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.molvis.org/molvis
Mailto:jboatri@emory.edu