Re: latest noise

To: jboatri@emory.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: latest noise
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:57:36 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/20/99 7:25:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jboatri@emory.edu writes:

<< On the way home from work yesterday, a new noise was born on the Sprite. It
 is a  muffled "thum... thum... thum... thum..." that varies with road speed
 but not engine rpm. It sounds like it's coming from the right rear
 tire/wheel/bearing area. It does not sound like metal on metal. In fact, it
 sounds like the beginnings of a flat tire, but the tire is not losing
 pressure. It _may_ lessen with application of the brakes (by pedal or hand
 brake), but I'm not 100% sure on that. I jacked the corner up and the noise
 is not apparent when spinning the tire by hand. Unfortunately, I did not
 have time to do anything else last night. >>

Swap the wheel and tire with the left front.  If the noise stays in the right
rear, it's not the tire or wheel.

Sherlock Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget