Re: Elizabeth's GT (Get Together)

To: brent.wolf@gte.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Elizabeth's GT (Get Together)
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:59:10 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Small british engines were meant to be thrashed, change gear when the valves
bounce, don't lift when you shift - in the company car.  In your own car
shift slightly earlier.

At 90 mph I might be at 6,800 in 3rd (close ratio box remember) or 5,300 in
4th and 4,500 in 5th - most likely I will be in 5th.  High rpm does reduce
engine life - even with a synthetic eventually.

Most modern european cars have a rev limiter fitted so you put the pedal to
the metal and wait till the front end dives (limiter kicks in) and then
shift.  The limiters are usually set at 6,800 or 7,000 or whatever.  The
first time you do this (in a hire car) you think you have blown the engine
but it's just the limiter.

Daniel1312 - don't lift when you shift <g>

In a message dated 26/10/99 01:13:51 GMT Daylight Time, brent.wolf@gte.net